Strawberry Quick Bread
We picked 24 pounds of strawberries this year. Maybe I got a little carried away, and Eleanor was happily playing with a friend, so I just kept picking. We froze a lot of them, and made two batches of jam. Besides eating an insane number of strawberries, I decided to add a little sweetness to breakfast with this recipe modified from the King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion, The All-purpose baking cookbook was a mother’s day gift from Eleanor and Jeremiah a few years ago and has proven to have great recipes to satisfy my baking needs, even when I can’t find a recipe searching online!
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups mashed strawberries
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour or spray with nonstick spray, a 9 x 5 in loaf pan.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, soda, salt, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, eggs, strawberries, and vegetable oil. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, whisking until blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 55-60 min, until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan for 15 min, then remove it from the pan and transfer it to a rack to cool completely, 1 hour or longer. For best flavor and easiest slicing, wrap the bread while still slightly warm and let it sit overnight.